The Nyadi Hydropower Project is a run-of-river type project, located in Lamjung District of Western Development Region of Nepal. The entire component from intake to powerhouse are located within the Ward no. 6 of Marsyangdi Rural Municipality, Lamjung District.
The project has an installed capacity of 30 MW and will generate 168.55 GWh of energy annually. The gross head of the project is 334.4 m and design discharge of the project is 11.08 m3/s. The generated power will be connected to a proposed NEA’s Hub (Khudi Hub) that will be constructed at Marsyangdi corridor. An about 14m diversion dam has been designed to construct across the Nyadi River to divert water from intake to underground settling basin and conveys the water through about 4000 m long headrace tunnel and 745 m long penstock pipe. A surface powerhouse has been proposed on the right bank of Nyadi River at the Thulobeshi. About 520 m long adit tunnels which include Adit 1 (Flushing Tunnel), Adit 2 (Naiche Adit), and Penstock Tunnel will be constructed to make 4 headings for excavation and construction of the headrace tunnel. Surge shaft is designed near the end of the headrace tunnel having diameter of 5.0 m and 35 m height.
Hydro-Consult Engineering Limited (HCEL) has been appointed as the Employer’s Representative for this project. Debt arrangement for the Project has been made under the joint Consortium of member banks (Lead by Everest Bank Ltd., Co-lead Nabil Bank Ltd. and Global IME Bank Ltd, and other member banks are Himalayan Bank Ltd, Sunrise Bank Ltd, Hydropower Investment and Development Co. Ltd.).
An EPC contract for the major works (Civil, Hydro-Mechanical and Electro-Mechanical) of the project is awarded to Zhejiang Hydropower Construction & Installation Co. Ltd (ZHCIC) on January 16, 2017 and is schedule to be completed by April 5, 2020.
As of end of February 2019, the Contractor Zhejiang Hydropower Construction and Installation Co, Ltd. (ZHCIC) has accomplished the following construction works:
- Construction of Distributary Structure which obstructs the big boulder and permits only water enter into the Diversion Tunnel at the time of overflow has been completed.
- The 300-meter-long Diversion Tunnel with its concreted inlet and outlet is in operation now ie. water is diverting through Diversion Tunnel.
- Construction of Coffer Dam has also been completed.
- Excavation of upstream part of Dam is ongoing. Concreting of first Cut-off of the Dam up to the elevation of 1,366.8 m (approximate) has been completed. Drilling and grouting of Curtain holes at upstream Cut-off of the Dam is ongoing.
- Excavation of Settling Basin with its dimension 62 m x 8 m x 8m and 230-meter-long Approach Tunnel has been completed. Blinding concrete at Invert bottom of Approach Tunnel has been completed.
- Excavation of 296-meter-long Access Tunnel 1 at Headworks, 122-meter-long Access Tunnel 2 at Naiche and 63-meter-long Flushing Tunnel has been completed.
- Excavation of 3,840-meter-long Headrace Tunnel has also been completed.
- Excavation and Concreting of 35 m high vertical Surge Shaft has been completed. Ventilation Tunnel of Surge Shaft 40 m long has also been completed with its concreting. Concreting of 18.95 m long Connecting Tunnel and 4.78 m long Connecting Shaft has been completed.
- 13 nos. of saddle support (40%), 11 nos. of anchor blocks (5%) and concrete staircase has been constructed at back slope of penstock alignment. About 40 % of excavation of penstock alignment has been completed.
- River protection works with 153 m long retaining wall has been completed in the Powerhouse area. Final level of Powerhouse excavation has been completed. PCC and Grouting works (41 nos.) has been done at the base slab of Powerhouse. Structural concrete of tailrace has been completed. Concreting of assembly bay at Powerhouse has been completed.
- Installation of Casings for the unit, rebar placing, formworks and concreting of structures above assembly bay in the Power house is ongoing.
- Steel plate cutting and rolling at Hydro-mechanical yard is ongoing.
- Employer’s permanent housing completed; fencing wall and outdoor labelling works ongoing.
- Track opening of Access Road up to Headworks completed.
NHL has been carrying on the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) works for the project affected people as per the demand of local people recommended by Upper Nyadi Hydropower Co-operation and Concerned Committee (The Sarokar Samiti) for Nyadi Hydropower Project (NHP).
Nyadi Hydropower Limited
Ganga Devi Marg – 313, Buddhanagar, Kathmandu
Tel: +977-1-4781776, 4785295
Website : http://nhl.com.np/